This is a quick and easy recipe if you already have pork carnitas on hand. It’s great for using up leftovers and it’s versatile enough that you can use what veggies and canned goods you have on hand.
- 2 cartons of chicken stock (or use homemade stock)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- leftover pork carnitas
- 3-4 potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 can chick peas
- (1) 7 oz. can of chopped green chiles
- salt & pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tbsp. chili seasoning, to taste
- chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- lime wedges
- In a large Dutch oven, sauté chopped onions a little bit of olive oil until tender.
- Add chicken stock, pork, can of green chiles, potatoes, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and chili seasoning. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the can of chick peas and cook until heated through.
- Serve with cilantro (if desired) and lime wedges.
Note: you can use whatever veggies you happen to have on hand in your pantry. I used chick peas since I was out of canned black beans and corn. If you don’t have pork available, leftover chicken is also a great substitute.