Toad-in-the-Hole does not actually contain any toads…let me just clarify that. It’s a classic British dish with sausages baked in Yorkshire Pudding and is usually served with an onion gravy and mashed potatoes. We’re making this a simple complete meal by adding tomatoes and green onions. Traditional Toad-in-the-Hole usually requires you to preheat your pan or skillet for about 15 minutes before the batter is added but since we’re warming up the skillet by pre-heating some of the sausage and onions we’ll be able to skip this step.
This dish comes together quickly so have all of your ingredients on hand and you’ll want to prepare the Yorkshire Pudding batter first.
You’ll need the following ingredients: 1 lb. sausage (I used a pork/venison sausage), 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups milk, 3 large eggs (we used our farm fresh chicken eggs), 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. salt, a small bunch of green onions (about 6-8), and cherry tomatoes.
Preheat your oven to 425F and prepare the Yorkshire Pudding batter by combining 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 1/2 cups flour, eggs, melted butter and salt in a blender and blend until smooth.
In an oven proof skillet (I used a 10″ cast iron skillet but this dish would be better baked in a 12″ skillet), lightly brown the sausage of your choice for a few minutes and add the green onions to cook for about 1 minute.
Pour the Yorkshire Pudding batter in the hot skillet, quickly arrange your tomatoes and then pop it into the oven to bake for 30 minutes until the dough is puffy and has set.
And that’s it! It’s ready. Serve immediately and enjoy the crispy Yorkshire Pudding created by the hot skillet…there the best bits in this dish!
- 1 lb. Sausage
- 1½ cups Milk
- 1½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 Tbsp. Butter, melted
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Small bunch of Green Onions (6-8)
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Prepare Yorkshire Pudding batter by combining milk, flour, eggs, butter, and salt in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Using an oven proof skillet, heat up 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and brown the sausage for a few minutes, add the green onions and cook for about 1 minute just to soften.
- Pour Yorkshire Pudding batter into the skillet, quickly arrange your tomatoes and then pop it in the oven to bake for 30 minutes until the dough is puffy and set.
- Serve immediately.