We love a good Apple Crisp that’s both tart and sweet and this recipe is a family favorite. You can use any kind of apple you have on hand but the tartness from Granny Smith’s give this crisp a great flavor.
This recipe will file a 9×13 pan or you can divide the mixture between mini-skillets. I love using the mini-skillets for this recipe and it makes the Apple Crisps that much more special since they’re personal sized. I used 6″ mini-skillets and one skillet is enough to serve two people…unless you’re like my husband and you need one skillet all to yourself.
- 6-8 Granny Smith Apples (peeled and diced)
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¾ cup All Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 cup Oats
- 1 tsp Baking Power
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 stick Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and chop apples into approximately ½" dice and place in a large bowl. You'll have to eyeball the number of apples needed to fit your dish but approximately 8 medium sized Granny Smith apples will fill a 9x13 dish. I used 2 apples for each 6" cast iron skillet.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Mix with a fork so everything is incorporated. Pour over diced apples and mix thoroughly to coat all of the apple pieces. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, coming flour, brown sugar, oats, baking powder and baking soda. Mix contents thoroughly and break up any large lumps. Add melted butter to the dry mix, stir, and break up large lumps.
- Put the apple crisp together by placing apples in the bottom of your large baking dish or mini cast iron skillets. Top with crumble mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately or with ice cream.