I love the flavors in this dish. There is no doubt that it’s an Asian dish with the flavors of ginger, green onion, cilantro, star anise and shiitake mushrooms blending together. It’s comfort food that’s great for a cold, rainy day or when you’re sick. The broth is full of flavor and it becomes a full meal when served over a bowl of rice or noodles. Prep time is minimal and everything cooks in the crock pot so clean up is a breeze.
Asian Poached Chicken can also be made in a large Dutch Oven and slow cooked in the oven. Preheat your oven to 275F and layer your ingredients as shown and bring to a simmer on the stove top. You don’t want a roiling boil, just a gentle simmer that slowly warms the chicken up. After the broth starts simmering, transfer the Dutch oven to your oven and slow poach it for 2-3 hours or until the internal temperature on the chicken has reach 165F.
Create a bed of cilantro and green onions for the chicken to sit on.
Next, put your chicken on top. Be sure to rinse it well.
Scatter the celery, ginger slices, peppercorns, star anise and kosher salt around the chicken. If using dried shiitake mushrooms, rinse them well before putting them in. The dehydrated mushrooms will reconstitute in the crock pot while the chicken is poaching and will release all of their flavor into the stock. Before serving, you’ll want to remove the stems because they will be woody and tough. The stems are great for flavoring broth but not so much for eating.
Pour a half and half mixture of chicken broth and water. You’ll need about 8-10 cups. I like using half broth, half water but you can certainly use just water.
Cover and set your crock pot on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours. Increase time if needed to ensure the chicken is poached all the way through. Internal temperature should reach 165F.
When done, shred chicken, remove stems from mushrooms and slice. Serve over a bowl of jasmine rice or noodles with lots of broth. Garnish with extra green onions and cilantro.
- 2 Bunches Cilantro
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions
- 12 Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 5-6 Slices of Ginger, peeled
- 5-6 Star Anise
- 2 Tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1½ Tbsp Koscher Salt
- 4-5 Cups Chicken Broth
- 4-5 Cups Water
- Place a layer of cilantro and green onions in the bottom of a large crock pot.
- Put chicken on top of cilantro and onions.
- Tuck in the celery and shiitake mushrooms (if using dried mushrooms, rinse well) around the chicken.
- Scatter the ginger, star anise, peppercorns and salt over the chicken.
- Cover with half and half mixture of broth and water or you can use just water.
- Cover and poach on High for 2 hours, low for 4 hours or until internal temp of chicken reaches 165F.
- Serve with additional cilantro and onions over rice or a bowl of noodles.