Fried bananas are popular as both a snack food and dessert in Thailand. You’ll find them at many of the restaurants and street food vendors. These chewy morsels are great just by themselves, with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and sweetened coconut flakes, a drizzle of honey or with vanilla ice cream.
They’re also very easy to make. You can use any kind of banana you’d like but we prefer the taste of the small Asian bananas. Just don’t let them get too ripe or they’ll be too soft to work with. You can find all of the ingredients you need at your local Asian market.
The batter for the fried bananas is made from rice flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, sugar, salt, sweetened coconut flakes and water.
Peel and cut the bananas into large chunks. These are about 1″ thick.
Combine all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Slowly add a little bit of the water and stir to form a thick batter. You may not use the full cup of water. You want a fairly thick batter that will coat and stick to the banana pieces.
Heat about 4 cups of oil in a large wok to 375 degrees. Dip the banana pieces into the batter and give them a nice thick coat then gently place them in the oil. Fry until golden brown. Remove from oil when done and set on a plate lined with paper towels or set them on a baking rack to cool with paper towels underneath to catch excess oil.
Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar and more coconut flakes, a drizzle of honey or along side a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 1 lb. Small Asian Bananas (or any kind of banana)
- ¾ cup Rice Flour
- ¼ cup Tapioca Flour
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- 4 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ cup Shredded Sweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1 cup Water
- Oil for Frying (about 4 cups)
- Peel and cut bananas into large chunks. About 1" thick.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Slowly add a little water at a time and mix thoroughly to form a thick batter. You may not use the full cup of water.
- Put your cut up banana chunks into the batter and gently stir to coat.
- Heat oil in a large wok (or deep skillet) to 375 degrees. Gently put the banana pieces into the oil and fry until golden brown.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate or cooling rack to drain excess oil.
- Serve while warm.