These yummy tacos start with an oven roasted pork butt that’s slow-roasted until it’s tender and falling apart. You can also use any leftover pork to make a quick Pork & Green Chile Stew.
Recipe: Pork Carnita Tacos
Author: farm and foodie
- 4 pound boneless pork butt, fat trimmed and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 onion, peeled and rough chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium orange, juiced and keep the spent halves
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat to 300 degrees.
- In a large Dutch oven, mix together the salt, pepper, ground cumin, minced garlic and oregano and coat the pork cubes with it. Add the chopped onions, bay leaves, lime juice, water and the spent orange halves and juice.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, uncovered. Once it simmers, cover pot and transfer it to the oven. Cook until the meat easily falls apart with a fork, about 2-3 hours.
- Remove the pot from the oven and turn on the broiler. Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat from the pan and place it on a large foil-lined jelly roll pan or baking sheet.
- Remove and discard everything from the pot except for the cooking liquid. Place pot over high heat on the stove and boil until reduced to about 1 cup (about 15-20 minutes) and it should be thick and have the consistency of syrup.
- While the liquid is reducing, pull apart the pork cubes to make smaller bites. Once the liquid has become a syrup, gently fold in the pieces of pork into the pot. Taste and add additional salt and pepper.
- Spread the pork back onto the foil lined pan and evenly spread the meat around so there is a single layer of meat. Place the pan on the lower middle rack of the oven and broil until the top of the meat is well browned and edges are slightly crisp, about 5 to 8 minutes. Using a wide metal spatula, flip the pieces of meat and broil the other side until well browned and edges are slightly crisp, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Serve immediately in a tortilla with all your favorite toppings.