Recipe: Broccoli & Cauliflower Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Gratin
Author: farm and foodie
Recipe type: side dish
- 1 medium head of broccoli (cut into florets)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 2 tsp. spicy brown mustard
- 2 cups of milk
- 1½ cups of jalapeno cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F. Cut broccoli and cauliflower into florets and steam or parboil for 5 minutes to soften. I just put mine into a large microwave safe bowl with a little bit of water (maybe ¼ cup) and steamed in the microwave for 4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt butter. Add flour and cook for about a minute to get rid of the raw flour taste.
- Add milk in a steady stream while stirring to create a smooth sauce and bring to a gentle simmer. The sauce should start thickening at this point.
- Add mustard and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper if you want a little more heat. Feel free to add more mustard if you'd like a stronger taste.
- Add a total of 1¼ cup of the shredded jalapeno cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you prefer but it should be something with a strong flavor) a handful at a time and allow the cheese to melt while stirring before adding the next handful to create a smooth sauce. Remove from heat.
- Arrange broccoli & cauliflower in a baking dish or a large cast iron skillet and pour the cheese over the top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake at 400F for about 30 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and has browned on top.